Many people today are enjoying the benefits of owning stairway power chair lifts. One of these handy devices can make your home much more safe and convenient, allowing you to live a full and active life regardless of any restrictions to your mobility. If you don't know much about them, seeing the many benefits of power chair lifts will soon convince you that they are an ideal solution.
The invention of the stairlift is often attributed to King Henry VIII. Some forms of stairway chair lifts benefits have been enjoyed since much earlier than that, though. Due to the advent of electricity and the advance of technology, modern stairway chair lifts are far safer and more accessible.
A Stairway Chair Lift Is Very Safe
First of all, it's important to understand that as innocuous as they may seem when you're in perfect health, stairways are one of the leading danger zones in a house, particularly when it comes to falls. This is especially true for elder people where the leading cause of at home injuries is falling. Safety has to come first, and using a stairway chair lift (whether new or a used stair lift) is one of the easiest and safest moves you can make.
Improve Your Home With A Chair Lift
Many people as they age are concerned that the homes they live in are no longer accessible for them. They feel trapped in their own house, and this can be extremely frustrating and disruptive. Many of these same people then end up moving, because they feel like they don't have any other choice. But you do not have to move out of your home, when you can have power chair lifts easily installed, completing the conversion of your house into a safe, accessible home once again.
A House With Multi Levels
As people get older their mobility is impaired and this often causes problems if they live in a home which has multi-levels. In days gone by they would have had to move their bedrooms downstairs or sold their homes and moved to a house that was situated on one floor. The same counts for anyone who is disabled. It is for this reason that many people now install stairway chair lifts.
Stairlifts And It's Financial Impact
The stairway chair lifts benefits outweigh any financial impact they may have on families, because they allow people to continue living in their own homes with dignity and a mobility that was heretofore not possible. There are many various kinds of stair lifts available on the market these days which make it possible for people to continue living in their homes and not be forced to move away from friends and neighbors they have known for years.
Stairway chair lifts, whether indoors or out are a boon to anyone who has mobility problems, and has meant a great deal to the elderly.
If you're not the person in need, but instead a family member of the person who could be in need of a stair chair lift, then this can be a great option for you as well.
- You won't have to feel guilty when you're not around or when you need to leave the house.
- Plus your family member or patient will likely enjoy the added freedom to move about as they please, instead of constantly relying on another person.
Stairway chair lifts benefits are not only for those who are elderly or handicapped though, as they also allow others in the household more freedom. No longer do you need to worry that here must always be someone available to assist with the person's transfer between floors. They can now move about independently, which frees you up to do other things.
People who are disabled or physically challenged in their mobility are thankful for this technology and the stairway chair lifts benefits that come with these lifts:
- They are not that expensive, and are fairly easy to install.
- Most of them can be installed within an hour or two.
- They restore dignity to the infirm and physically handicapped.
- They offer the mobility-challenged independence and freedom of movement.
- They are easy to use and very safe.
- They have many safety-features including cut-out switch.
- They are mainly battery-powered so power-cuts do not suddenly make one immobile.
- They are very durable and basically completely maintenance-free.
Electric Powered Or Battery Operated?
Stairway chairlifts, like the acorn chair lift, can either be purchased as:
- A/C Model - It runs completely on electric power. If your power goes out, the A/C model of course won't operate.
- BOS - Battery Operated System. The BOS model will be able to operate for a period of time without having functioning electricity, however you'll also need to be sure that you change your battery frequently, which will be an additional cost.
Chair Lifts That Fit In With Your Home Interior
Best of all, the power chairlifts of today can really be customized to fit into your home.
- No longer do they have to stand out and attract unwanted attention.
- The majority come with many customization options, including chair design, fabric and color.
- This means that no matter what your home interior looks like, you can maintain that with pride.
- Plus, many chair lifts today also come with folding seats so that they are even less obtrusive when they aren't in use.
This is just another great benefit, and another reason to cast your worries to the side.
Determining Which Type Of Stairlift You Need
One of the main factors that will determine which type of stairlift you invest in is what kind of staircase you have. It also depends on whether the stairlift needs to be an interior on or an exterior one, and what types of benefits you require. There are many types of stairway chair lifts available, and below are some of the more popular ones.
Straight stairway chair lifts
- These are the most popular, as most staircases are straight, and they are also the easiest to install.
- They are attached to the stair treads as opposed to the wall.
- They can literally be installed within approximately one hour.
- They are usually battery-powered. The batteries charge continuously, which means no interruptions in use even in the event of a power failure.
- A swivel seat which rotates 90 degrees and can lock into place for getting in and out of it makes it very safe.
- These types of chair lifts also have adjustable seat height and safety sensors which cut power in case of obstructions and a hinged rail are all welcome safety measures.
Curved stairway chair lifts
- These stairlifts are required when there are bends, half-landings or turns in the stairways.
- They are a bit more expensive, as they need to be custom-made.
- There is a company called Platinum which specialises in these types of chair lifts. It is also well-known for reconditioned curved stairlifts.
- If installing a reconditioned stairlift, make sure that you are working with an established firm that has a good reputation.
Perch stairway chair lifts
- These stairlifts are required where the user cannot bend or where the width of the staircase itself is very narrow.
- The seat is higher and more of a cushioned ledge than a proper seat.
- These types of stairway chair lifts come with large footrest plates, special harnesses, and a safety arm to make users feel secure when using them.
Outdoor stairway chair lifts
- Sometimes it is not the home that is multi-level, but the garden or access to the home from the street that requires a stairway lift.
- They have all the same safety features as their indoor cousins, and a few more besides.
- They are generally constructed from aluminium as they have to resist the elements. If not aluminium they are usually either zinc-plated or treated with special oil then powder-coated.
- Any components that are made of plastic or PVC will be resistant to UV rays and heat, and a protective cover for leaves or snow.
- Normally they are DC powered and maintenance-free.
- A user-friendly paddle control, smooth stop and start, swivel seat, fold-up seat and footrest, cut-out sensors and a lockable isolation switch are standard features.
If you have been pondering on whether to get a stairway chair lift, ponder no further, as there is really no reason not to get one for your elderly parent, or even for yourself if you are experiencing mobility problems. They are not really that expensive, considering all the stairway chair lifts benefits that you and your family can enjoy for many years to come, and will probably increase the value of your property too.
The bottom line is that you shouldn't take any chances with your safety and your health, and nobody wants to have a home that is no longer friendly or accommodating. Therefore, power chair lifts are the perfect way to reinvigorate your life and improve your home in one easy step.